Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
KPRDSB offers mandatory Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) to all permanent employees and their family members/dependents. Permanent employees pay for it as a payroll deduction on each pay-cheque.
The KPR OT Local has been working to get this coverage extended to OTs, who are arguably as much (if not more) in need of this support as our permanent colleagues. KPR has recently agreed, based on the following criteria:
- Due to the variation in OT employment, they can’t do regular payroll deductions, so instead it would be an annual fee,
- It would cost each member about $60/year, charged on either Sept 1 or Oct 1 (this date to be determined by KPR OT Local, with member consultation),
- the coverage would be for 12 calendar months,
- the coverage would be mandatory (as it is with all permanent employees). Voluntary coverage would be cost prohibitive, so it’s not even up for discussion.
We are working on a Letter of Agreement with the Employer laying this all out, and we will present it to you at the AGM. One of the motions we’ll be bringing to you at the AGM is to endorse this Letter. If the vote on the motion passes, we will have EFAP coverage as soon as this Fall.
More about EFAP (from the KPR website):
This program is strictly confidential , voluntary, and once you have paid the annual fee, there is no cost to you or your family members.
EFAP is a short-term counselling and advisory service that connects individuals and their immediate family members to a network of dedicated professionals who are available to provide assistance 24 hours a day.
6 Different Ways to Access Counselling Services:
- In Person Counselling (face-to-face)
- Telephonic Counselling
- Text-based Resource Packages and Online tools
- First Chat’ Online Counselling (in real time)
Shepell·fgi’s Work/Life Services provide timely, professional assistance and support to help employees manage all of life’s complexities. Their Work/Life Services are designed to help employees navigate the daily demands of their work, personal and family lives to ensure they achieve adequate balance. Additionally, they offer physical health focused support programs which provide employees with a starting point to improve their overall health.
The following are the services that are provided:
(click on a topic for more information)
- Family Support Services
- Financial Support Services
- Legal Suport Services
- Health Coaching
- Naturopathy Services
- Nutrition Support Services
- Fitness Coach Connects
24-hour, 7-days-a-week toll-free confidential telephone access to EFAP for crisis counselling, risk assessment and matching to appropriate service(s).